Alternative Wall Art
When you feel the need to fill up wall space with a single painting or mirror, try to think of "the bigger picture" and create a multi- faceted, three dimensional composition. There are so many options to choose from that add interest and character to your wall space. There are many forms of alternative wall art ranging from decorative or functional, to funky and fun.When alternative wall art is hung in coordination with traditional mirrors or paintings, a complete composition can be created. Ideas for alternative art are only limited to your imagination; however, here are some of the most popular.
- Wall pockets - Made from many different materials such as moss and wire, or metal, or wood. They are great wall "vases" for your favorite floral or natural stems, feathers or sticks, depending on your colors and style of decor. Wall pockets are a great way to bring color, texture and three-dimensional life to an otherwise flat, dull wall.
- Wall brackets or shelves - Wood, resin, iron, or a combination of materials, brackets can be a wonderful way to display art such as figurines, or beautiful vases, whether filled or unfilled.
- Candle Sconces - Often called hurricanes, candle sconces add yet another element of an unusual decorative wall accent. Ambiance within the room is also achieved with the glow of the candle inside. Hurricanes can be contemporary, very ornate and formal , or on the rustic side. Some sconces hold taper candles, votive or pillars.
- Architectural pieces or remnants - An old door or window frame, a decoratively carved piece of wood, or an old iron gate are all examples of architectural remnants that can be displayed interestingly on the wall and can become reinvented as art.
- Glass - Beautiful, colorful glass balls, platters, and plates are quickly becoming one of the most popular forms of creative, funky and fun alternative wall art available. Grouping several pieces together can make even more of a design impact.